Adlers How to Read a Book,
Study Questions 1-7
Part I: Chaps. 1-5
1. According to Adler, what is the purpose of this book?
2. What are the four types or "levels" of reading, according to Adler?
3. What age-levels of instruction require "remedial instruction," even in elementary
reading, in the American educational system today?
4. The first time through it, how does Adler recommend reading even the hardest book?
5. What advice does Adler give for learning to read faster?
6. The analytical level of reading asks: "What does it mean?" In your own words,
what are the four stages of analytical reading?
7. Which of Adlers half dozen suggestions about "how to make a book your own" seem
most helpful to you?