Adlers How to Read a Book,
Study Questions 8-15
Part II: Chaps. 6-12
8. What lies "hidden between the covers" of every book, according to Adler?
(Clue: his metaphor for "outline.")
9. What does Adler consider "the heart" of an authors communication: "the most
important thing an author has to say?"
10. What must you be able to say, honestly, before you can criticize a book fairly,
according to Adler?
11. After reading a book and understanding it, what are the three conditions which
a reader should meet before stating his or her disagreement with the author?
12. What are four ways to criticize a book "fairly," according to Adler?
13. According to Adler, what are the "Great Books" and what do they provide for
14. Should commentaries be used before or after reading a new book? Why?
15. What critical information is usually omitted from encyclopedias?