GBT 2 Study Questions Pt. 11
On the Nature of Things
32. The Nature of Things; I-III
1. List similarities between Lucretius philosophy and the typical modern world-view.
2. What arguments does Lucretius use to prove the existence of invisible particles?
3. According to Lucretius, why can't the primary element be fire?
4. What arguments are given against the theory of homoeomeria?
5. Summarize Lucretius argument for the infinity of the universe.
6. Why is the atomic swerve necessary to explain free-will?
7. Does Lucretius think we can believe in the gods?
8. How can sentient creatures be made of insentient atoms?
9. According to Lucretius, what is the mind?
10. How does Lucretius prove the spirit mortal?
34. The Nature of Things; V-VI
11. Explain Lucretius arguments against the divine creation of the world.
12. How did the stars and planets come to be formed?
13. Recount the process by which human civilization was formed.
14. According to Lucretius, what is the origin of laws and institutions?
15. According to Lucretius, what is the origin of piety?
16. What are Lucretius explanations for thunder and lightning?
17. According to Lucretius, what causes earthquakes?