GBT 2 Study Questions Pt. 926. Physics, IV.1-5, 8; III.4-6 (pp. 1-15/internet file)
1. How does Aristotle prove the existence of place?
2. Summarize the six characteristics of place.
3. What is Aristotle's solution to Zeno's paradox that "place must be at a place which must be at a place which ..."?
4. Explain the differences between place and form.
5. Why is place motionless?
6. Why does heaven not have a place?
7. Why cannot void be a place?
8. Why is 1/0 undefined?
9. How long would it take a body to traverse a void?
10. Explain the five reasons for the existence of the infinite.
11. Explain the phrase: "It is impossible that the infinite should be a thing which is itself infinite, separable from sensible objects."
12. Why cannot the infinite be either compound or simple?
13. In what sense does the infinite exist?
14. Explain the difference between infinite by division and infinite by addition.
27. Physics, VIII 1, 5-7, 9-10 (pp. 15-29/internet file)
1. Why must motion exist in order for there to be time?
2. Why must motion be eternal?
3. Why are love and strife insufficient principles to account for motion?
4. Why must there be a first movent (or "mover") that moves itself?
5. Why is mind the "unmoved movent" (or "mover")?
6. How might an object move itself?
7. How many unmoved movers are there? When was the initial movement enacted?
8. Why must locomotion be the primary type of motion?
9. Why is rotation the primary locomotion?
10. Why cannot the finite be the cause of a motion during an infinite time?
11. Why cannot an infinite force reside in a finite magnitude?
12. Why must the movent (or "mover") occupy the circumference of the rotational motion and itself be motionless?
13. Why cannot the unmoved mover have magnitude?
14. Has Aristotle proven the existence of God?